Sandcastle - getting started

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I have downloaded Sandcastle for a project here at work. I need to use ONLY native batch commands, not power shell or a gui interface. I have downloaded the required SDKs and other components, installed Sandcastle, and walked partially through the tutorial at https://blogs.msdn.com/sandcastle/archive/2006/07/29/682398.aspx.

All goes well until step 8. At step 8, when running BuildAssembler /config:sandcastle.config manifest.xml, I get an error message as follows: "Error: BuildAssembler: No appropriate constructor exists for the build component 'MIcrosoft.Ddue.Tools.CopyFromFileComponent' in the component assembly 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\\ProductionTools\BuildComponents.dll'.

Note - I am using the steps outlined at the link above, using only the files in the download/install kit, and using the VS 2005 options in each step. In the blogs shown in the above link, this issue is mentioned, but no solution is given.

Any suggestions?

thanks, RobH_TES

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Hello,

You normally get this error when you have VS 2005/2008 SDK installed on your computer.
The SDK installs the older version of the Sandcastle.

Manually edit your DXROOT path in the environment setting of your control panel and point it to your installed Sandcastle directory.

Best regards,
Paul. 

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Paul, thanks for the suggestion.

I noticed the DXROOT issues on some of the blogs for sandcastle, and deleted the user version of DXROOT that pointed to the wrong location immediately after the install. Today, I have confirmed that the system DXROOT points to the correct location.

I believe the tutorial refers to an older version of Sandcastle, and does not work against the version i have - so I have dropped trying to get it to work.  Now I am simply running the build script included in the install to see what happens. However, I get different errors, and nothing useful is generated in the chm file.

thanks again,

Rob

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Hello Rob,

>>RobHowever, I get different errors, and nothing useful is generated in the chm file.

The current batch script is loaded with other stuff, please post the version you are using.

I have a simple project that builds using the batch files, if you want it, I could send it to you - I use it for investigating issues and learning.

Best regards,
Paul. 

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM

thanks Paul...

my version is 2.4.10520.   I am running build_sandcastle.bat in the examples directory just to see what is produced in test.dll.chm, which is (i am guessing here) where the useful output of sandcastle should end up.

I would be very happy to get a copy of the project you mention... i do have some old projects to use as "test material".

Rob