Future plans and Visual Studio

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:48 PM
Can you please confirm whether there are any plans for the future to create an add-in for VS2005/VS2008 so that the creation of the help files can become a part of a solution?
Editor
Jan 17, 2008 at 10:11 PM
There are a couple of community tools here on CodePlex that will help. The Sandcastle Help File Builder (http://www.codeplex.com/shfb) contains a standalone GUI for managing and building the project as well as a console mode builder that can be integrated with scripts and post build events. DocProject (http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject) is a VS2005/2008 add-in that lets you create projects using Sandcastle from within Visual Studio.

Eric
Jan 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2008 at 6:16 PM
Eric,

I am aware of these projects; it is your own SHFB that has encouraged me to use Sandcastle in the first place, however I have found that DocProject (currently) requires the user to know more about the structure of the Sandcastle input files.

I was just wondering whether there were plans for an add-in with the Sandcastle product itself, or whether the community projects would be providing that interface in which case I would need to decide between the two projects that you have pointed out.

Thanks for your reply; I dare say that I will be asking a lot more questions over the coming weeks!

Martin.
Jan 18, 2008 at 6:51 PM
Hi Martin,

I have found that DocProject (currently) requires the user to know more about the structure of the Sandcastle input files.

How do you mean? Just because the files are available if you need to modify them doesn't mean that you are required to. For most users the New Project Wizard, the Properties window and DocProject's UIs are all that's needed to author and build documentation immediately, and little knowledge of Sandcastle is required.

If you want to start a thread in DocProject's discussions area I'd be glad to answer any questions that you have. Also check out DocProject's Wikimap for some documentation and tutorials.

- Dave
Jan 18, 2008 at 8:27 PM
Dave,

Sorry, no offence intended here!

I have kind of gotten used to the ease of the SHFB UI and was struggling to find equivelent properties in DocProject. For what I was doing at the time, and time being of the essence, I found that it was easier to go back to SHFB rather than try and find my way around the additional files - my laziness at fault here really, if I had bothered to learn the inputs for Sandcastle in the beginning I am sure that I would have been able to use DocProject properly!

I do intend to return to DocProject and find the answers to my shortcomings as although SHFB is currently easier, I prefer being able to integrate everything into VS2005/VS2008 (hence the question in the first place). When I do, you can be sure that I will be asking lots of questions ;)

Martin.
Jan 18, 2008 at 10:25 PM
Hi Martin,

I didn't take offense to your statement at all - I just wanted clarification :)

It seems that the large majority of the time people don't offer feedback so I have to look for it myself. I assume that I come across pushy and eager most of the time, but it seems worth it to me ;)

BTW, last I heard Microsoft wasn't going to be implementing VS integration themselves. It would certainly be interesting to know if that has changed...

Thanks for the response,
Dave