Conceptual thanks!

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:27 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2008 at 12:28 AM
Yeah Anand! thanks for the little update to the conceptual build in the Jan 2008 release. You did not mention it but
in a small way you are now using the companion files and that is very significant change. I have
just found that out and will update my builder library and article to take advantage of it.
Very significant because the Intellisense will work without sweat - thanks.

Best regards,
Paul.
Mar 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2008 at 9:57 PM
I got Intellisense working without difficulty, thanks to you Paul. However, I am at a loss as to what to do with the MAML file in the context of a DocProject. I took one of your samples and put some real content in it, without in any way altering the structure (just as an exercise in adding conceptual content) but putting it in the same project folder as Project.xml causes a compilation error. I don't suppose there's conceptual documentation for producing conceptual documentation with DocProject?
Mar 5, 2008 at 11:40 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2008 at 11:44 PM

PeterWone wrote:
I got Intellisense working without difficulty, thanks to you Paul.

Thank you. Happy to know that work is producing some results.

PeterWone wrote:
I took one of your samples and put some real content in it, without in any way altering the structure (just as an exercise in adding conceptual content) but putting it in the same project folder as Project.xml causes a compilation error.

I will investigate that today to see what could be causing the problem. Hope you have also changed the working directory to point to the project folder.

PeterWone wrote:
I am at a loss as to what to do with the MAML file in the context of a DocProject....
I don't suppose there's conceptual documentation for producing conceptual documentation with DocProject?

Which version of the DocProject are you using? The earlier contains untested conceptual help support and I am not sure it will work. The current releases (the last two) support the conceptual help.

I have a new builder library, which I am using currently for my own documentation project. I have decided to develop it into something more useful than a simple tool for learning conceptual help. I will release it immediately after the release of the next Sandcastle, which I am hoping will support more features for conceptual help. It will also support generation of sitemap from the table of content so that you use it with the Sandcastle Help File Builder http://www.codeplex.com/SHFB.

Best regards,
Paul.
Mar 6, 2008 at 12:15 AM
Hi Peter,

You must use DocProject 1.10.0 or later.

In Topic Explorer there's an import button. Simply click the button, select your topic and it will be included automatically in the project and the TOC.

Preliminary documentation is here and additional information is available on my blog in this post.

If you're using 1.10.0 or higher, you placed the file in the wrong folder which is why it didn't work. It should be in Help\Topics not Help\Comments. Although, you should use the import feature anyway because it will also add the new topic to the TOC for you.

Next to the import button is a button that will create a new topic for you automatically, add it to the TOC and open it in Visual Studio's XML editor. You can choose from 19 different conceptual templates and view a preview of each before choosing.

If you have any further problems please let me know. You may want to start a thread over at DocProject's discussions area.

- Dave