Mrefbuilder Pathing problem (found workaround but need explanation!)

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2008 at 9:33 PM
OK, I just downloaded Sandcastle (Jan 08 release) and installed it clean. Now I'm trying to build a test project per the procedures at: https://blogs.msdn.com/sandcastle/archive/2006/07/29/682398.aspx.

When I try the Mrefbuilder command: mrefbuilder test.dll /out:reflection.org from C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Examples\sandcastle (per the link above) I get the following load error:

Error: A file access error occured while attempting to load the component assembly 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\%DXROOT%\ProductionTools\MRefBuilder.exe'.
The error message is: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTools\%DXROOT%\ProductionTools\MRefBuilder.exe'or one of its dependencies.
The system cannot find the file specified.

The DXROOT specified in the system variables is C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\, which is where Sandcastle is installed. I have no DXROOT variable for my userid.

I'm not using any UIs at the moment. I was trying to just get oriented to the architecture from the command line (and would still like to as I'll eventually be doing this in some type of batch)

Obviously I'm more of a writer than a system guy. Where am I going wrong?

Thx,
Keith

---------------------------------------
OK, so after the above I looked at where the error message said it was looking and concluded that if I edited the msrefbuilder.config to just specify the msrefbuilder assembly (no path at all, just assembly="MrefBuilder.exe") in the top resolver element that it would work, and it did. But now I'm still wondering how this was supposed to work, and whether I've bastardized my system somehow with this workaround.

Any comments would be helpful.

Keith

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:23 PM
Hi Keith,

Since that blog post was published there have been significant changes to the help build process.

In the %dxroot%Examples\sandcastle folder you'll find a batch file named, build_Sandcastle.bat. It contains the most up-to-date process for building auto-generated reference documentation.

You don't have to modify the MRefBuilder.config file that ships with Sandcastle.

I'm not using any UIs at the moment. I was trying to just get oriented to the architecture from the command line (and would still like to as I'll eventually be doing this in some type of batch)

Open source community tools that automate Sandcastle can be used on the command-line as well, so I don't see any reason why you should suffer through batch configuration if it's not entirely necessary.

- Dave
Feb 14, 2008 at 11:16 PM
Thanks Dave - I'm working through the bat file now!
Feb 15, 2008 at 1:32 AM
This is all better now! Thanks again Dave.