Sep 7, 2010 at 2:33 AM
Edited Sep 7, 2010 at 2:34 AM
>> I recently started tryin to mix the conceptual content into the mix to solve this problem, but so far have been unsuccessful.
The conceptual content is really powerful and extensible, and should be able to meet your needs.
>>Has anyone got an example of successully mixing conceptual help with the reference guide help?
Combining the conceptual and reference topics is simply. You do not need to combine the configuration files
since each is designed to act separately and differently.
What you will need to do is to split the build steps.
- The first set of steps create the reflections, combining the XML document comments and generating the reference TOC.
- You will need the reference files above to resolve the links in the conceptual topics.
- Create the conceptual TOC and merge that with the reference to form the final TOC.
- Build the conceptual topics to generate the HTML (running BuildAssembler the conceptual.config)
- Build the reference topics to generate the HTML (running BuildAssembler on the sandcastle.config)
- Making sure the output directory is the same for both the conceptual and reference tools.
- Finally run your build tools like the CHM and HXS compilers to complete the process.
You may use tools like SHFB and DocProject, which will perform these steps and more for you.
However, if you wish to completely control the build steps you can use my library at
NOTE: Splitting the build steps is all you need if you want to integrate your own contents, which are not Sandcastle
conceptual topics, since after running the BuildAssembler on the conceptual.config, you will get the HTML similar to
your own contents, so it is essentially the same.
Both the DocProject and the Sandcastle Assist do not yet support the current Sandcastle release.
I have completed the support in the Sandcastle Assist, and was trying to complete some other changes in the build process this
weekend to upload the codes. However, I will be busy this weekend helping with a fun-raising concert for orphans. The updates
will definitely be uploaded by Sept. 20.