How to modify build_sandcastle.bat to build from multiple assemblies

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I have a primary DLL which then has dependencies on several others. I am trying to build a chm for the primary DLL which includes all public types in the others as well.

The batch file takes only one assembly argument so I modified the mrefbuilder line in it to add the other DLL's:

MRefBuilder data1.dll data2.dll %2.dll /out:reflection.org

This got me the types in the help file but no comments. I figure this line is the problem:

if exist %2.xml copy /y %2.xml comments.xml

Do I have to manually merge all my XML doc files and rename it comments.xml ?

Note I prefer not to use one of the gui tools that are available, just Sandcastle alone.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM
Edited Sep 24, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Hello,

Do MrefBuilder /? to see the command options supported.

You will see how to handle the dependencies.

>>This got me the types in the help file but no comments. I figure this line is the problem:

This has to with the configuration file being used by the sample, take a look at the 

Sandcastle\Presentation\vs2005\configuration\Vs2005.config

You will find that the "comments.xml" is hard coded there. If you need a practical solution, it
must include modifying the configuration files as well. That batch file is meant to work with
the default installation.

>>Note I prefer not to use one of the gui tools that are available, just Sandcastle alone.

Dealing with the Sandcastle is easy but not simple, you will need a lot of work to get a
real work going.
You still get a better deal using my build library at Sandcastle Assist, which aims to make using the
Sandcastle simpler. It is not based on any file format, so you can use your own file format with it. 

Best regards,
Paul. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:59 AM

Hi, I got it working by changing the config file as you suggested. Thanks for your help. I definitely need to find some time to look into all this.