Grouping of Overloads not Working

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I’m new to Sandcastle and SHFB in particular (using latest June 2010 version with the Rev 1 Patch).  So far I like SHFB a lot but have encountered a problem/misunderstanding.

I have a C# class with some overloaded methods, for example as follows.

public Quantity NewQuantity ()

public Quantity NewQuantity (double value)

public Quantity NewQuantity (string expression)

When I examine the compiled help file (Help 1 or 2) Class>Members page, all the overloaded methods are listed as follows.

NewQuantity ()                        Summary text

NewQuantity (double)            Summary text

NewQuantity (string)              Summary text

As I understood it, Sandcastle should automatically group overloaded members onto a separate topic page that is linked from a single “NewQuantity” entry in the list on the main Members page.  That’s the way I’ve always seen it done in the .NET Framework documentation.  Have I misunderstood?

At first I thought I had to do something with the <overloads> tag but then realised this is for specifying the common documentation that goes onto the separate overloads page.  Since I’m not getting a separate page, <overloads> is not having any effect.

What am I doing wrong?

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM
Edited Dec 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM

As far as I can tell, this was a change that occurred in the latest release of Sandcastle.  It shows a single entry for the overloads in the TOC and clicking on the TOC entry brings up the overloads page.  However, on the member list pages they are all listed individually.  This appears to be the case in some of the MSDN documentation now too (see System.String Methods for example).  It isn't that way in all cases so perhaps the stuff that still shows it the old way hasn't been updated yet.

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply, Eric.  So it seems we must live with this new way.  Pity because I find it more cluttered than “old” way.