Linking to a Zip file

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I'm creating some tutorials that explain how to use our SDK using Visual Studio.  On each topic I'd like to add a link to a zip file (or other archive) containing a sample Visual Studio solution.

Is this possible using Sandcastle, and if so what's the correct way of adding it to the solution and how do I link to it from the XML file?  

I've tried adding the zip file to the solution, changed the build action to Content and also tried Embedded Resource, but the zip file never ends up in the Debug folder.  I've also tried adding *.zip to the ChmBuilder.config file.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Are you including the zip file in conceptual or reference help?

Are you using any GUI tool or directly building with Sandcastle command line tools?

Best regards,

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Hi Paul,

I believe it's conceptual (sorry I'm new to Sandcastle).  Basically I'd just like the user to be able to download a zip file when they click on a link on a help page). 

We're using a Visual Studio project to hold all of the items in the conceptual help, this then uses the Sandcastle command line tools via Msbuild.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:20 AM
Edited Feb 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Hello Neil,

Never mind, we are all still learning Sandcastle!

You can use the externalLink tag to embed any local/external file into your help, including the zip file.
The syntax should be similar to:

<linkText>Download BrowserApplication Sample</linkText>
        <linkAlternateText>Download BrowserApplication Sample</linkAlternateText>

In this case, I have used "samples" sub-directory to store the sample files. You will have to modify your
build system to copy the samples to your build output "samples" sub-directory before running the HtmlHelp 1.x compiler.

NOTE: Please use the relative path shown above, do not use the actual full local path to the files.

Also, modify the ChmBuilder.config file to include in the [FILES] section, a line similar to

If you have any further question or problem with this just ask. Have a nice weekend.

Best regards,

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Hi Paul,

That worked, many thanks for your help.