xml comments for controls on a form

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to add xml comments to the controls on a form in a Win32 application. When I use the Sandcastle help file builder to create a compiled .chm file with DocumentInternals enabled, I see all of the controls on my form added to the properties section however they are all missing the summary tags.

Is there any way to add summary tags to the controls as I would quite like to document what each control is used for.

Editor
Feb 14, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I think the only way you'll be able to do that is to manage a separate XML comments file manually.  I don't think you can't put the comments on the elements as they'd get removed by the designer once you made a change to the form and it regenerated the code.  It would be similar to managing a file for project and namespace comments.  There's a question in the FAQ topic that describes how you can generate an XML comments file to fill in manually ("I have an assembly without code and without an XML comments file for which I'd like to create documentation and/or an Intellisense file. How can I do that?").  Once you create the comments file, you'd add it to the SHFB project as a documentation source.

Eric