Sandcastle Guided Installation

Editor
Feb 21, 2011 at 11:33 PM

There have been a number of requests recently to come up with a better way of installing all of the various parts that make up Sandcastle and the extra items available in the Sandcastle Styles project.  I think I've come up with an acceptable solution in the form of a guided installation application.  The current version of Sandcastle, the patch, and other tools in the Sandcastle Styles project are included.  For the non-distributable parts (the help compilers), it will check for their presence and, if not found, it tells you where to get them and how to install them.  When installing Sandcastle, it checks for and can fix the issues caused by the Visual Studio SDK (a user copy of DXROOT and a path to the outdated SDK version).  It also includes an option to install the MAML schemas in Visual Studio's global schema cache to provide IntelliSense when editing MAML topics in Visual Studio.  Each step gives details about what it will do and provides the necessary warnings so that you don't overwrite something you might want to keep such as customizations to the Sandcastle transformations.  The optional components can be skipped and installed later.  The application can also be extended by third party build tool providers to install their tools too.  An example is included in the source code for the installer for the Sandcastle Help File Builder and I'll be updating the current release of SHFB to use it soon.

Since this is the initial release, I'd like to get some feedback on it.  Were there any problems?  Is anything missing?  Any suggestions for improvements?

You can get it here: http://sandcastlestyles.codeplex.com/releases/view/47767

Eric

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Excellent Eric. Thank you for the tool.

May 20, 2014 at 1:24 PM
This link seems to be broken.
Editor
May 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM
The Sandcastle Styles project has been closed. All Sandcastle development and requests for help are now handled at the Sandcastle Help File Builder project site: http://SHFB.CodePlex.com

Eric