The New Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Hello All,

It seems the current Sandcastle presentation style is broken in the new Microsoft Help Viewer 1.1.
It particular, all tables including that in the header now displays border lines.

Please can anyone confirm this?

Best regards,
Paul. 

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Yes, I've already noticed it... This is also broken if you view the pages with an external browser, so I guess the server is transforming the document differently now - our own html, i.e. which don't use the presentation style, also display borders around images and tables.

Mar 23, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Hello J.Moeller, thanks for the confirmation.

I do not know if a new SDK will be released for this 1.1, otherwise, we will have to get there the hard way :(

Best regards,
Paul. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:32 AM
Edited Jun 21, 2011 at 7:33 AM

One can wonder if there will ever be support for 1.1 in Sandcastle or if it has been deprecated...

Anyway, I added the following to the Presentation.css file to remove the ugly borders. Not an optimal solution, but it somewhat works.

DIV.OH_outerContent TABLE
{
    border0px;
}
 
DIV.OH_outerContent TABLE TH
{
    border0px;
}
    
DIV.OH_outerContent TABLE TD
{
    border0px;
}

/Staffan

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Hello Staffan,

I understand the frustration. It is about time the Sandcastle Team tell us what we should expect.

Currently, I am not working on any commercial developer product, and do not need the MSDN integration,
but for those requiring it, it could be frustrating.

It is unfortunately the Help 3 team broke their own contract of self-branding, causing even the
current Sandcastle output to fail in the Help Viewer 1.1.

By the self-branding (set to true), the source is responsible for its display, but the current release still inserts
the MSDN script and style into the self-branded help. I was thinking about a fix that will remove/replace the
added style-sheet on load. 

Anyway, thanks for the quick fix, I will test it later today. The last time I checked the syntax and source code tables 
were broken too, if you find the fix please post it. 

Best regards,
Paul. 

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Hello Staffan,

I have just verified the fix and it works. Even the syntax and code sections work correctly, thank you.

The only problem is the invalid XHTML the Help Library Agent is generating. It currently turns
link break <br/> to <br></br>, breaking some of the formatting.

Even in MS own documentation the output XHTML is highly invalid with div-tag outside <body></body>,
can't tell how this passed their quality control. The content generator has no idea which HTML tags are empty
elements. Interestingly, the line breaks here work correctly, so cannot tell how this could be fixed. 

Best regards,
Paul.