Set Technology and Language on generated Help file

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:47 PM
Hi there, I'm pretty new to this help generation stuff so please forgive me if ths is a stupid question. I have generated a help file using the SandCastle Help File Builder and integrated it into Visual Studio 2008. Unfortuantely when I search I have to have All Languages and All Technologies selected before the search will find my new classes, however everythig appears in the index section and the context senstitive F1 key works.

From information gained on the Microsoft forums I think that I want to set a Name="DocSet" Value="NETFramework" and Name="DocSet" Value="C#" to get them to appear when that language and technology are selected, but I can't work out how to do that! When I view source on my topics I get the following

<xml xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt">
<MSHelp:Attr Name="AssetID" Value="T:Com.PDMS.Framework.UIControls2.IPageable"/>
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="A" Term="T:Com.PDMS.Framework.UIControls2.IPageable"/>
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="A" Term="frlrfComPDMSFrameworkUIControls2IPageableClassTopic"/>
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="A" Term="frlrfComPDMSFrameworkUIControls2IPageableMembersTopic"/>
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="K" Term="IPageable interface"/>
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="K" Term="Com.PDMS.Framework.UIControls2.IPageable interface"/>
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="F" Term="IPageable"/>
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="F" Term="Com.PDMS.Framework.UIControls2.IPageable"/>
<MSHelp:Attr Name="TopicType" Value="apiref"/>
<MSHelp:Attr Name="TopicType" Value="kbSyntax"/>
<MSHelp:Attr Name="APIType" Value="Managed"/>
<MSHelp:Attr Name="APILocation" Value="UIControls2.dll"/>
<MSHelp:Attr Name="APIName" Value=".IPageable"/>
<MSHelp:Attr Name="Locale" Value="en-us"/>

I can't see anywhere in the Sandcastle Help File Builder interface to put these settings. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Apr 17, 2008 at 3:10 PM
The current version of SHFB doesn't have the ability to add any new attributes. The next release due out soon (after the new release of Sandcastle is out) contains enhanced support for Help 2 files. This includes the ability to add additional MSHelp:Attr properties such as DocSet via a project collection property and new properties for the Help 2 plug-in TOC style, file version, plug-in namespaces, and inclusion of a stop word list for the full text search. It will also clean up the collection files produced by removing the DTD declaration and create an H2Reg file that can be used to register and unregister the help file in the collections. With these changes, it should be much simpler and easier to produce a working Help 2 file and register it.

Apr 18, 2008 at 8:17 AM
Thanks, got it sorted now. For anyone interested the solution is here