Sandcastle-to-Flare integration: scrolling issue

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Hello,

We use MadCap Flare to generate WebHelp output of our product documentation. Our managed code library is part of this. The managed code segment is generated by Sandcastle. I'm trying to integrate the Sandcastle output with the Flare output to create a single, seamless WebHelp system for the company website. This has been my process to date:

  1. Generate CHM Help from Sandcastle.
  2. Create a new Flare project and import the Sandcastle-generated CHM (essentially decompiling the CHM and importing all project files).
  3. Generate WebHelp from the Flare project.
  4. Merge the new WebHelp output with the master product WebHelp (via build-time merging).

This is working as intended, except for one major issue: in the Flare WebHelp output of the Sandcastle content, long topics are cut off, and there is no scroll bar. Also, body content is flush with the left margin - padding: left and margin: left properties are seemingly ignored. Example:

Initially, I thought the cause was specific to the presentation .css used in Sandcastle, but I've tested the output with a completely different style sheet in Flare, and the problem persists. It almost seems as though something is overriding some properties in the style sheet.

Has anyone here attempted Sandcastle-to-Flare integration and encountered this issue? Or perhaps there is a workaround I am missing? If so, I'd appreciate any suggestions/assistance you could provide.

Thanks,

Todd

 

 

Editor
Jan 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Most likely it's the Sandcastle script files that are causing problems since they are unware of the new environment in which you've placed them or they're not being used at all and the pages are getting set up properly.  There's script in SplitScreen.js that sets up the scrolling and non-scrolling regions.  There may also be script in script_manifold.js that affects the rendered page too.  Those would be the place to start looking.

Eric

 

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Eric,

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I will look into the scripts to see if I can find any conflicts. At first glance, it appeared most - if not all - of the scripts were working in Flare, but that may not be the case.

Todd

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Eric,

Turns out that SplitScreen.js was causing the problem. There was an overflow value set to hidden. I set that to auto, and I'm now able to scroll topics that are long enough to require it. All is well. Thanks again for your help.

Todd