T-SQL code

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:07 PM
Is there any work being done on adding T-SQL as a language type? If not I'd like to take it on, any guidance and pointers would be appreciated...
Editor
Jul 10, 2008 at 4:26 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2008 at 4:28 PM
The only thing I'm aware of is this Code Project article that provides a tool for extracting XML style comments from SQL objects to build a help file with Sandcastle and SHFB: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/SQL_XML_Documentation.aspx

There aren't any provisions for a SQL syntax section so you'd have to create a class derived from SyntaxGenerator or SyntaxGeneratorTemplate to handle that.  The Sandcastle code is available now so you could take a look at how the existing syntax generators are implemented for ideas on how to do it.  Once done it would probably render the sections in the topics but you'd have to modify the transformations and scripts to connect the section to the language filter.

Eric
Jul 11, 2008 at 8:46 AM
The Code Project article you mention go me started on the idea. The problem I have is that the generated help is confusing as the stored procedures are represented in C# syntax. I'm thinking the util that reads the database objects should rather output Conceptual Content??
Jul 11, 2008 at 1:16 PM
Hi,

Conceptual content is not really appropriate for auto-generated reference documentation and anyway it doesn't even provide support for a syntax section to begin with.  However, you could probably write a custom syntax generator and then modify the XSL transformations so that they generate only appropriate syntax blocks (in your case, only an SQL syntax block).  Open the utilties_reference.xsl file (e.g., in the VS 2005 presentation style) and search for the syntaxBlocks template.  This is where you'll have to add your logic, I think (untested).

- Dave
Jul 2, 2009 at 3:09 PM

SQLDoc Sharp, an interactive tool designed to generate the SQL Server 2005/2008 documentation.
Export documentation to CHM format (Microsoft Compiled HTML Help).

locate it at http://www.amitchaudhary.com/