Linking to local vs. online MSDN topics?

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:45 AM
Hi,

I've been generating documentation with the SHFB SdkLinkType set to Msdn, so that, e.g., the link for IDisposable.Dispose() brings up the internet web page for the topic in the MSDN Library. One of my reviewers pointed out that some of our customers are on secure networks where they don’t have public internet access.

Is there a way to generate the documentation so that links to framework items can resolve to locally installed MSDN topics in the customer's work environment?

If so, would I then need to generate 2 versions of the doc -- one that links to a local installation of MSDN help content and one for the online MSDN help content? Or could there be some sort of conditional link resolution (ie, find the topic locally, if it exists, otherwise go to the internet)?

Thanks,
Sue

Editor
Jul 30, 2008 at 1:34 AM
If you're creating a Help 2 (HxS) file, set the SdkLinkType to Index and it will generate links to the MSDN content in the local help collection.  There isn't an equivalent option for Help 1 (CHM) files.  The topic has come up before for CHM files and there is at least one suggested way of doing it.  Basically, you'd have to create a build component that generated URLs that the CHM viewer could open for local content.  There's a post about it on the MSDN Documentation forum somewhere but I don't have the link available so I'd have to go search for it.  If you have the option, generating a Help 2 file is the easiest solution as it will work right away.

Eric
Aug 1, 2008 at 6:19 PM
Thanks, Eric!

Our current plan is to deliver a chm file, although we plan to look into Help 2.

Sue