What license are the Sandcastle styles etc under?

Aug 18, 2008 at 10:01 PM
Hi,

The source release does not contain the Presentation, ProductionTransforms, and Schemas directories that are included in the installer.  The installer requires accepting a non-open-source CTP license.  As a result, it's not clear whether MS is releasing everything included in the installer under the Ms-PL, or is just releasing the executables (and corresponding source) under the Ms-PL while keeping the various styles, transforms, etc. as a propietary add-on. 

Can someone from MS clarify the license that applies to the contents of the Presentation, ProductionTransforms, and Schemas directories?

Thanks,
--Dean

P.S. The Sandcastle Styles project distributes patched versions of those directories but I'm not sure whether they are actually allowed to do that if they are considered proprietary add-ons.
Aug 18, 2008 at 10:34 PM
Hi Dean,

I think it might just be an oversight, although it's been reported before.

Sandcastle Styles was mentioned on the Sandcastle blog though, so I'm sure MS is aware of our intentions: 

Sandcastle Community Projects - Sandcastle Styles
http://blogs.msdn.com/sandcastle/archive/2008/06/05/sandcastle-community-projects-sandcastle-styles.aspx

- Dave
Aug 18, 2008 at 11:07 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for pointing out the existing bug report.  I just voted for it.

It's quite possible that it is just an oversight (and I certainly hope so), but the fact that Sandcastle Styles was mentioned on the Sandcastle blog doesn't really clear up the license issue.  MS is free to choose whether or when to enforce the CTP license against Sandcastle Styles and can choose to not enforce it against Sandcastle Styles but still enforce it against someone else distributing the same files.  That's why I'd really like someone from MS to clear up the issue officially.

--Dean