Modifications to Presentation Styles

Aug 19, 2008 at 6:50 PM
Is there any possibility there will be a presentation style available that more closely matches the current MSDN?

Our specific issue is that we are currently using the VS2005 style, and when it comes to Overloaded members, the description just states "Overloaded." But we would like it to have the full description so it would read, "Overloaded. Determines whether two Object instances are equal. (Inherited from Object.)"

We noticed in the Prototype presentation style that we could get the full description, but then it leaves off the "Overloaded" part. Is there any way to modify any of the current styles to display the entire description? Our preference right now is to use the VS2005 style if anyone knows of a modification that can be made to that one.

Thanks,
Katy
Editor
Aug 19, 2008 at 8:12 PM
Edited Aug 19, 2008 at 8:15 PM
I think if you put a <summary> element rather than a plain text description within an <overloads> element on one of the overloaded methods, the summary from the overload description will show up after the "Overloaded" description on the list page as well as on the "Overloads" page itself.

Eric
Aug 19, 2008 at 11:20 PM
>>Eric: I think if you put a <summary> element rather than a plain text description within an <overloads> element...
No Eric, Katy is simply not writing the <overloads> tags. It works for me even without the <summary> tag in the <overloads>,
and in fact, I have just verified to make sure it was not broken.
NDoc will automatically pull the <summary> for the first overload entry, but this is not supported in Sancastle.

Best regards,
Paul.
Aug 20, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Thanks Paul,

That was exactly the situation. Since the Overloaded text was getting generated, we didn't realize we had to also put an <overloads> tag to get the description to display. Works fine now. One additional question though - it puts the description on the next line, instead of inline with the Overloaded test. Any idea how to get the description to display on the same line?

Katy

Editor
Aug 20, 2008 at 4:41 PM
Actually, it works with inner text or a summary element (just tried it myself both ways).  If the summary is present it uses it, otherwise it uses the inner text.  Either way, it wraps the text in a <div> which is why it appears on a new line in the list page.  You can probably modify the <xsl:template match="overloads" mode="summary"> template in main_sandcastle.xsl to get rid of the div in the otherwise case section.  However, that may break the formatting on the actual overloads page itself if the same template is used there.

Eric