BuildAssembler output

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:16 AM
hi,
is there any way to switch off the info messages that BuildAssembler.exe outputs
eg "Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic ........."

thanks, Barry
Sep 4, 2008 at 11:36 AM
>>Barry: is there any way to switch off the info messages that BuildAssembler.exe outputs
Yes, it does on how you are building or running this. If you are using one of the tools, SHFB or
DocProject, they provide ways to control this output.

If not, please indicate how you running the BuildAssembler.exe.

Best regards,
Paul.
Sep 4, 2008 at 11:58 AM
I have a Nant script for creating my help files

<exec program="${sandcastle.buildassembler.exe}" workingdir="${sandcastle.working.dir}" >
            <arg value="manifest.xml" />
            <arg value="/config:Sandcastle.config" />
        </exec>

thanks, Barry

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:54 PM
Hi Barry,

Build assembler does not provide any command line option that I know of for controlling its trace output.  However, it does accept a delegate in the main classes's constructor for programmatic notification.

- Dave
Sep 4, 2008 at 3:14 PM
thanks for the info, seems a bit of an oversight not have an option on the command line or in the config file
I've a  4Mb log file and its pretty much all Info,

>> However, it does accept a delegate in the main classes's constructor for programmatic notification.

could you point me in the direction of further info on this,

thanks, Barry
Sep 4, 2008 at 3:58 PM
Edited Sep 10, 2008 at 2:41 PM
>>Barry: could you point me in the direction of further info on this...
You will have to read the source codes for the BuildAssembler, it is very short and simple.

However, for the NAnt, try setting the Spawn attribute to true, I think that will not log the output.
If this does not work, consider a rewrite of the ExecTask for the NAnt, and control the output.

Best regards,
Paul.
Sep 4, 2008 at 4:39 PM
Hi Barry,

As Paul pointed out, looking at the source may be preferable since there's no formal documentation yet.  Although, you can take a look at DocProject's code to see a working example of using a message handler with the BuildAssembler class.

BuildAssemblerStep.cs
http://www.codeplex.com/DocProject/SourceControl/FileView.aspx?itemId=453987&changeSetId=34004 

(See the ExecuteAssembler method.)

- Dave