Documenting WebSite edit (global) name

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Edited Jun 29, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Hi!

I'm documenting a WebSite following the instructions of WebCodeProviders, and I would like to know if it is possible to change the name of the (global) namespace.

It shows as (Default Namespace) ... How can I change it?

Editor
Jun 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

If you want to change it permanently for all projects, you can modify the resource item file that contains it in Sandcastle.  Edit the defaultNamespace element in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Sandcastle\Presentation\VS2005\Content\reference_content.xml file.  Edit the respective file in the other presentation styles folders as needed if using one of them.

If you want to vary the text by project or don't want to modify the Sandcastle files and you are using SHFB, you can add a new Resource Items file to the SHFB project, open it for editing, locate the defaultNamespace item and change the text for it there.

Eric

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Hi again!

I've changed the reference_content.xml file in Presentation\VS2005, but I have to modify it in Presentation\Prototype.

I've already copied reference_content.xml file from VS2005 (just changed) and put it into Presentation\Shared and Presentation\Prototype. When I'm trying to generate documentation and view the CHM file, it doesn't appear the change at all. Should I have to do something more?

Thanks in advance!

Editor
Jun 29, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Copying the files between presentation styles is a bad idea as they are not interchangeable.  As it is, you've probably broken some of the Prototype style items.  Putting the file in the shared folder won't have any effect.  I'd suggest deleting those two files and repairing or reinstalling Sandcastle to put things back in order.  I did some checking and the Prototype style does not support changing the text of the default namespace.  The text you are seeing is coming from a build component that defaults it to that value.  I tried adding the XSL and the item from the VS 2005 style to the Prototype style in the appropriate locations but it didn't make a difference.  It may be possible somehow but I can't say for certain.  Bear in mind that the Prototype style has been deprecated and, if you have the option, switch to the VS2005 style.  It does support changing the text as described above.

Eric