Project Status Update #2

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Hi Everyone,

Here is what is currently happening with regard to the status of Sandcastle.  Last week, I was contacted by Darren Parker and was given the following information.  For quite a while, he tried to get resources to work on Sandcastle but higher priority projects prevented that from happening.  There has been no committed team actively working on Sandcastle since then.  They do have a Sustained Engineering team that can sometimes do work on other projects as time permits.  Recently, that team started going through my list of submitted bugs and fixing issues in Sandcastle.  After starting work, they realized that a newer version of the Sandcastle tools had been released independently on CodePlex (v2.7.0.0 from the Sandcastle Styles project).  Since it fixed all of those bugs, they contacted Darren to see about integrating those changes into their code base.

A phone conference was held yesterday between Darren, some members of the Sustained Engineering team, and myself with the following results:

• The version of the code from the Sandcastle Styles project will be used going forward.
  • It appears that the SE team made a couple of bug fixes and changes that I had not.  I also have a few additional bug fixes and changes that I have made since that release.
  • The SE team will diff the code for the version they have against the version and a copy will be sent to me so that I can incorporate their additional changes with my latest changes.
  • Once the two code bases are reconciled, Microsoft will do one more release of the code base.  The target date for that is October 3rd but it could be earlier.
  • After that release and contingent upon Microsoft Legal approval, permissions for managing the Sandcastle code and releases will then be turned over to me and the community.  Work is underway on that and Darren is currently waiting to hear from Legal.
  • Once I am able to do so, I will merge the content of the Sandcastle Styles project (the patches for the older versions and the documentation) into the main Sandcastle site and retire the Sandcastle Styles project site.

Darren mentioned that his main dev team is working on building their next CMS and content build system.  After that is finished, they will no longer be using Sandcastle.  Microsoft would like to see Sandcastle continue to move forward and is willing to facilitate this.  As such, he does think that fully turning it over to the community makes the most sense.

That's where things stand right now.  I'll keep you posted as things progress.

Project Status Update Thread #1:

Aug 15, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Thank you Eric for the information. It is much appreciated.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Thank you for your job.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

The target date Oct 3rd is already in the past, neither on this page nor on the Sandcastle Styles website is this "new" version available. When can we expect it to be released?

Best regards,

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM
Edited Oct 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Keep faith: SHFB history

The release is getting prepared obviously :)

EDIT: my link got messed up :(

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:58 PM

There has been a change of plans.  I'll post details soon and the new release will be out later today.