BuildAssembler Fatal Execution Engine Error

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Running SHFB, BuildAssembler crashes with a Fatal Execution Engine exception on my build server (Windows 2003 R2 Std x86). It all works fine on my workstation (Windows XP Pro). The SHFB error log does not say anything about the error, and i don't think it is at fault (because it works on my workstation i think its a .NET or Windows configuration issue). The exact event log message is:

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.1433 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (79FFEE24) (80131506)

The strange thing is that there is nothing more, BuildAssembler crashes (giving me option to debug or cancel, both having the same outcom eg. close the application), SHFB Console application continues like nothing happened (later on it says its missing files that should have been generated by BuildAssembler though).

Has anyone else encountered this problem before and know a solution?

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:52 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM
>>Vossekop: Fatal Execution Engine exception on my build server....works fine on my workstation...
Is your workstation also without .NET 2 Service Pack 1?

Best regards,
Paul.
Jan 21, 2009 at 7:12 AM
Both server and workstation have .NET 2.0 Service Pack 1 installed.
Jan 21, 2009 at 8:53 AM
>>Both server and workstation have .NET 2.0 Service Pack 1 installed.
Thanks. I have just installed the Sandcastle on a machine with the .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.1433,
and it works without any problem.
It seems the problem requires a more careful investigation. You may also try the Windows "patented"
approach...uninstall/re-install to see what happens.

Best regards,
Paul.
Jan 21, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Thanks for the help so far Paul.

Reinstalling the .NET Framework is not an option i am afraid. The box is a production Team Foundation Server with Team Build. Reinstalling the .NET Framework would mean reinstalling the entire production box. I did find out one more peculiar thing which essentially makes this problem no problem anymore. When i came back this morning i noticed all my nightly builds completed succesfully, even the one with the documentation built in. After some more tests i concluded the problems only occur when i am logged on to the box via Remote Desktop. It then does not only occur when i run the build, but also when i run it from the command line. If i log out and run the build, everything works fine. And since the server is usually never logged on anyway, the problem isn't really a problem anymore. It is however very strange that this is happening.

Kind Regards,
Jeroen
Jan 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM
>>Jeroen: Reinstalling the .NET Framework is not an option i am afraid.  
Neither will I advice that on a server - I mean Sandcastle and the related tools.

>>Jeroen: It is however very strange that this is happening.
At least you found a way around it, I think that should be enough for now,
until an expert in Remote Desktop comes around :)

Best regards,
Paul.