How do I add another CHM to incorporate with the CHM that Sandcastle creates?

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:03 PM

During the build process, how do I add another CHM to incorporate with the CHM that Sandcastle creates to combine the class library info e.g. with more info (Overview, etc.)

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM
Hi,

Do you actually have a need to merge .chm files or do you simply want to add additional topics?

How to add topics may depend on the tool that you're using to automate Sandcastle, if any, such as DocProject or Sandcastle Help File Builder.  But more than likely you'll be able to use MAML to author your topics (e.g., Conceptual, How To, UI Reference, etc.) and the tool will merge the documentation that Sandcastle generates with your MAML topics.

To get started with MAML in Sandcastle, see the Sandcastle Help article and download the MAML guide from the Sandcastle Styles project.

- Dave
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I created the first CHM from the dll from our build using instructions from the Sandcastle blog (Creating a CHM build using Sandcastle).

I created the second CHM using the HTML Help Workshop. This one isn't too pretty but it has all of our documents to combine with the class library. I'd want to merge the contents and have the new version of the CHM have the same style formatting for all.

Should I use docproject or sandcastle help file builder instead of HTML Help workshop? Which is the easiest to use? I have to do this manually and it's very time consuming. Thx for input.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:21 AM
Hi,

> This one isn't too pretty but it has all of our documents to combine with the class library

In what format are these documents written?  HTML?  XML? MAML?

> I'd want to merge the contents and have the new version of the CHM have the same style formatting for all.

Sandcastle does not accept HTML topics as input.  So if your custom topics are written in HTML then you'll have to style them yourself.

Alternatively, you can try translating them into MAML topics, which is a format that Sandcastle does process into HTML using the same presentation style as the API reference topics that you generated previously.  Here are some tools that may help:

> Should I use docproject or sandcastle help file builder instead of HTML Help workshop?

Well neither of these tools (nor Sandcastle) merges .chm files.  Sandcastle only works with input files like XML documentation comments and MAML topics, and generates raw HTML files as output.  Therefore, I suggest using either DocProject or SHFB (whichever you prefer) to build the API reference topics again from scratch, along with your conceptual topics (once converted to MAML), into a single .chm file, simultaneously.  Refer to the documentation or forums for the specific tool that you choose for more help.

- Dave