chm file doesn't include all the namespaces and xml comments

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2009 at 9:17 PM
I have a visual studio 2005 project. I have included xml tags for all the classes in the project and tried to use Sandcastle and sandcastle builder to generate the chm file. Where as I see the comments inlcuded in the xml file that gets generated. However, some of the namespaces are not getting included in the chm or html files that get generated when using the sandcastle helpfile builder. I included the class tags as below:
I am surprised some of the namespaces are getting included and some not in the chm file generated. Is there something I am missing?

for example the below xml tags doesn't show up in the .chm file that is generated. neither the name space nor the class information showup. Can some one help me understand what I am doing wrong?

namespace DbLists
{
    /// <summary>
    /// Class used for defining the Database fields
    /// </summary>
    class FieldDef
    {
        private string name;
        private bool collected;

/// <remarks>
        /// Constructor for FieldDef with out parameters
        /// </remarks>
        public FieldDef(string name) : this(name,false)
        {
        }
   }
}
Editor
Jan 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2009 at 8:47 PM
By default, only public and protected items are included in the documentation.  If it's appropriate, you need to declare the missing items as public or protected.  If they are really meant to be private or internal, you'll need to set the SHFB project's DocumentInternals and/or DocumentPrivates properties to true (equivalent to the /internal+ MRefBuilder command line option).  Be aware that if you do document privates, it will pull in a lot more stuff but you can use the ApiFilter project property to remove the things you don't want to see.

By the way, the <remarks> element on your example class's constructor should really be a <summary> element.

Eric