Unknown reference link target for things in my project

Jan 30, 2009 at 11:33 PM
I have looked for the error "Unknown reference link target" here and it seems to be associated with failing to find external resources such as MSDN links.  I am getting a little over 100 such errors on code that is part of the SDK I am creating.  I am wondering if someone can fill me in on what might be happening in my case.  I assume that the error means it cannot find the documentation for the specified type.  Would I get this error if the types had been filtered out by specifying not to include internal types?  Is it an issue finding a type defined in one project and used in another?  The projects are all part of the same solution.

Thanks for what ever help you can offer.

Pat O
Editor
Jan 31, 2009 at 2:04 AM
Edited Jan 31, 2009 at 2:07 AM
It's normal to see those errors for certain .NET Framework members.  String.Empty, String.GetHashCode, and System.Windows.Forms.Control.ImeMode are a few that occur with regularity depending on how the MSDN web service is feeling at any given point in time.  Sometimes it finds them but a lot of the time it won't.  Others can occur because you've got a third-party reference assembly that contains the type.  Since they aren't documented and aren't part of the base framework, there is no reflection information to use for them.  If you filter them out, or a public method's comments link to a private member's comments and you don't include the private members, it won't find them either since they aren't there.

If you're using SHFB and want to suppress the warnings or you have a separate Help 2 file that does contain help for those items and you want to link to those topics, you can use the Additional Reference Links plug-in.  See the plug-in's help topic for more info on that.

Eric
Jan 31, 2009 at 11:12 AM
Thanks,
  That is pretty much what I thought.  I will back track it to look at the documentation that references those classes, it probably shouldn't.

Pat O