v1.8.0.1 "Send Feedback" Link doesn't work

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:40 AM
Hi,

I tried to enter an email address in the "FeedbackEMailAddress" property in SHFB v1.8.0.1.  When I regenerated the chm file (VS 2005 format), I got the "Send comments on this topic to <email>" line in the footer which works perfectly.  However, when I click the "Send Feedback" link, I get an Expected ")" error message.  Could anyone let me know what I need to do in order to fix this?

Thanks.
Editor
Feb 20, 2009 at 3:12 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2009 at 3:13 AM
Have you applied the Sandcastle Styles patch?  I don't remember any fixes specific to the Send Feedback link but it may be worth a try.  I just tried it in the SHFB help file which uses the VS2005 style and it works fine.

Eric
Feb 20, 2009 at 4:12 AM
The .chm was generated in the VS 2005 format/style which I wrote in my original post.  I hadn't tried the patch, and installed it with the same result.
Feb 20, 2009 at 4:18 AM
The first part of the error is:

mk:@MSITStore:<path to chm>::/html/<guid>

The Title is: An error has occured in a script on this page
Editor
Feb 21, 2009 at 2:32 AM
Edited Feb 21, 2009 at 2:34 AM
I was able to duplicate the problem by putting a single quote in the HelpTitle property.  The problem is caused by Sandcastle as it passes the title as a parameter to a JavaScript method and the single quote terminates the parameter string prematurely causing the error.  There doesn't appear to be a way to alter the Sandcastle transformations or the script file to fix the issue.  For now, just remove the single quote from the title.  I'll add an extra version of the title to the resources used by the help file builder that is escaped so that the single quote goes through in the script file.

Eric
Feb 21, 2009 at 3:09 AM
>>Eric: I was able to duplicate the problem by putting a single quote in the HelpTitle property.
Not a normal thing to do and might not be the source of the problem.

>>Eric: The problem is caused by Sandcastle as it passes the title..
You might as well examine the SHFB support of the feedback, it is not correctly handled.
Even in SHFB own manual, the "Send Feedback" points to a rating feedback content message 
(even though there is no rating control on the page), while the link at the bottom points to
different content message.
The two are supposed to be the same if correctly handled. As it is now, it seems it is confusing
two different feedback types supported by the Sandcastle.
If there is a rating control on the page, the "Send Feedback" will actually direct to the bottom of
the page for the user to select the rating.

Best regards,
Paul.
Feb 21, 2009 at 4:30 AM
Eric's solution worked.  Thanks.