Documentation of inherited members from external library

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Dear all

I have the problem that I am using an external library which is defining base classed from which some of my classes inherit. Now, in my documentation, the inherited (but NOT overridden) members show up with a blank documentation, only stating "(inherited from Foo)". Strangely, for members inherited from standard .NET types, such as System.Object.ToString(), the documentation string is included as "Returns a string that represents the current object.
(Inherited from Object.)" which is what I want.

How do I get SCHFB to do this? I am referencing the external library in the project file and next to the DLL there is also the XML file with the documentation comments.

Thanks for any pointers, and excuse me if this is a FAQ. My Google skills didn't turn up anything useful, however.

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Only the type information is included from reference assemblies. Add the XML comments files from the reference assemblies as documentation sources and it will add the comments information to the list pages. That's how the comments are included for the base framework although it's done automatically. Don't add the reference assemblies themselves as documentation sources or it will include them as part of the documented API which is probably not what you want.

Please note that this project site has been discontinued and may not be monitored as frequently. For future questions or issues concerning Sandcastle or SHFB, post them over on the Sandcastle Help File Builder project's discussion page. Thanks.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Many thanks for the prompt help. What got me confused was that when I add the XML file using the GUI, the DLL gets also added automatically. So I didn't even consider trying to remove the DLL again. After doing so, things are working as advertised.

Sorry if I posted on the wrong forum, Google led me here ;-)