CTP or Ms-PL?

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Hello all,

Related to an earlier discussion, I'm a bit confused about the license terms governing the use of Sandcastle. The 'License' page for the project (as well as the download popup) state that Sandcastle is licensed under the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL). When I install the product (May 2009 - version 2.4.10520), however, I have to accept a CTP license agreement stating (among other things) that

The term of this agreement is until September 1, 2007, or commercial release of the software, whichever is first.

Effectively, accepting this EULA would prevent me from using Sandcastle altogether. Declining the EULA does the same, since the product then of course doesn't install. Could someone with the appropriate authority indicate how Sandcastle can be used without violating license terms?

Thanks in advance, Kai van Lopik

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I don't work for Microsoft but see this work item updated by Anand Raman who does: http://sandcastle.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=4571

It is licensed under Ms-PL it's just that the installer didn't get updated to remove the CTP license and include the Ms-PL license.  The latest source download available on the Source Code tab does contain the correct license.  According to the work item, the installer for the next release should contain the correct license.  The work item was last updated on July 2nd noting that it would be out the next week but it hasn't shown up yet and no other updates on a timeframe have been given yet.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Thanks Eric for your swift reply. And for the contents: it's the answer I was hoping for.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:52 AM

For future reference: version 2.4.10520 is the May 2008 (not 2009) release.