Error: BuildAssembler: An error occured while initializing the build componen
  t 'Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2' in the component ass
  embly 'C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\\ProductionTools\BuildComponents.dll'. The
   error message and stack trace follows: System.FormatException: Input string
  was not in a correct format.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Hi,

Have you installed the Visual Studio SDK?

Please check your DXROOT environment variable (check user and system) and make sure that they're pointing to the installation of the latest release of Sandcastle; typically, C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\.

- Dave

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I have VS 2008 installed? Do I really need to install the SDK?

My system env. variable DXROOT is set to C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:09 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Hi,

No, you don't need to have the VS SDK installed.  But when it's installed it modifies DXROOT to point to an older version of Sandcastle.

- Dave

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Installed SDK and I am still getting the error

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't clear the first time: The issue appears to be an old one.  You don't need the VS SDK installed, but if you did install it, or if you've ever installed an older version of Sandcastle, then the DXROOT environment variable may be pointing to an older version of Sandcastle.  Alternatively, perhaps, the Data directory contains old files.

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Sandcastle.  After uninstalling Sandcastle, but before reinstalling it, delete the C:\Program Files\Sandcastle directory entirely if it still exists.

- Dave

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Ok. I uninstalled and deleted the Sandcastle folder and installed Sandcastle again. Made sure the DXROOT variable was correct and I am still having the same problem

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Hi,

A quick search reveals that someone else has experienced this issue due to a particular type of user code breaking BuildAssembler:

http://shfb.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=3957

Can you build documentation for even a simple test class library?

If so, then I suspect you may have found a new bug related to the particular user code that's breaking your documentation build.  In that case, the best thing you can do is to use the API filter and systematically narrow down the offending API by the process of elimination.  Then, you may want to report this bug in the Issue Tracker.

- Dave

Aug 18, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Hi,

On second thought, I see which API is failing from the stack trace of your original post (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/devdocs/thread/5a600234-5c29-43df-8701-cfbc19793de9):

at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)

A quick search for FormatException and System.Number found the following thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsworkflowfoundation/thread/5a03984a-a4b1-462c-be99-3c10ab0ab9d2

Do you have SP1 installed?

- Dave

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I uninstalled and reinstalled and I'm still getting this crazy error. Please Help

Aug 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Hi,

It's hard to say what the problem can be without being able to reproduce it.

What version of Windows are you using?  What other specs are you willing to share about your computer?

- Dave

Aug 20, 2009 at 9:51 PM
Windows XP Pro (SP 3 I believe, whatever is the latest one)

To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:17:47 -0700
Subject: Re: Error when building Example Project [Sandcastle:66106]

Hi,
It's hard to say what the problem can be without being able to reproduce it.
What version of Windows are you using? What other specs are you willing to share about your computer?
- Dave
Aug 20, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Hi,

I'm probably reaching here, but if you have any anti-virus software try disabling it.

- Dave

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I figured out the problem. When I ran into another problem with another application, the fix for that also fixed Sandcastle.

Look at the last reply here:

http://bytes.com/groups/net-asp/441235-2-0-dataset-issues-again

I hope this helps someone like it helped me.