This topic describes how to install Sandcastle.
To install Sandcastle
Note: If you plan to install the Visual Studio 2008 SDK, install it before you install Sandcastle. You must do this because Visual Studio 2008 SDK Setup updates the PATH and DXROOT environment variables in the registry. If those variables are updated after Sandcastle is installed, then it may not work. If you have already installed Sandcastle, then you must do one of the following things: uninstall Sandcastle and then reinstall it after you install the Visual Studio 2008 SDK, or manually reset the PATH and DXROOT environment variable values.
- Ensure that you have HTML Help Workshop installed on your machine. Creating Help 2.0 (HxS) files requires that you also have the Help 2.0 Compiler. The Visual Studio 2008 SDK meets both of these requirements.
- Uninstall any earlier versions of Sandcastle not installed as part of the Visual Studio 2008 SDK.
- Run the Sandcastle Installer, which is available on the CodePlex Web site.
If you are installing on an x86 machine, you are done. Otherwise, continue to the next section..
To configure an AMD64 machine for Sandcastle
- From the Start menu, right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
- In the left pane, Click the Advanced System Settings link.
- Click the Environment Variables button.
- Select the PATH variable, and click Edit.
- Add the following text to the Variable Value box, and click OK: ;%ProgramFiles(x86)%\HTML Help Workshop;%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 2.0 Compiler
Other ResourcesSandcastle Overview