This topic lists the new features of Sandcastle, and also the hardware and software that is required to run it.
Sandcastle, which is used by Microsoft to build the .NET Framework documentation, can create both API reference and conceptual topics.
This version of Sandcastle provides the following new features:
- Supports Generics as well as .NET Framework 2.0.
- The VersionBuilder tool, for documenting multiple versions of a project.
- The CHMBuilder tool, for generating HTML Help 1.x .chm files.
- A topic design that matches Visual Studio 2008 Help.
- A Windows PowerShell script, for documenting APIs by using Sandcastle.
- The five-star MSDN-style rating feedback control.
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista; Windows XP Service Pack 2
- .NET Framework 2.0, which is available on the .NET Framework Downloads Web site.
- HTML Help Workshop for HTML Help 1.x files, which is available on the HTML Help Downloads Web site or by installing the Visual Studio SDK.
- MS Help 2.0 Compiler for HTML Help 2.0 files, installed as part of the Visual Studio SDK in versions 2005 or later, if you want to create HTML Help 2.0 (.HxS file) output.
- Visual Studio 2005, if you want to test your Help file's integration with Visual Studio 2005.
How to: Install Sandcastle
Sandcastle Architecture and Operation[