Extra brackets added to the method parameter description

May 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I already posted this question on Sandcastle Styles discussion board but I am not sure how active that discussion board is as the last post was back in February. Thus I am posting this question here as well. My apologies to everyone offended by this but I am running out of time and need to fix the problem really soon…

I am using SHFB 1.8.0.3 to create a .NET class library documentation.

I have a C# method with the following signature:

public static string TransformToXML( byte[] message);

Prior to applying the "Sandcastle May 2008 Patch Rev 3" patch the resulting C# documentation was generated correctly:

Parameters
message bytes to transform

But after I applied the patch I now get an extra pair of brackets in the documentation (i.e. Byte[][]) for all languages C#, C++, and even VB:

Parameters
message bytes to transform

Does any one know how I can correct this?
Thank you very much for you help,
Leo

Editor
May 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM

It would appear that you are using the Hana presenation style.  What you are seeing is the span for the F# array brackets.  These get rendered regardless of which languages you choose to include in the syntax filter.  The Hana style doesn't fully support the F# language so they aren't getting hidden properly.  Only the VS2005 style supports F# syntax elements right now.  You can work around the problem for the time being by adding the following style to the C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\Hana\Styles\Presentation.css file:

span.fs
{
 display: none;
}

This will default the F# language attribute spans to be hidden by default.

Eric

May 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Eric,
You were right - I am using Hana presentation style.
The workaround that you provided did indeed solve the problem.
Thank you very much for your help,
Leo