inline seealso tag not working

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:38 PM
I'm sorry to have to bring up the subject of the seealso tag again because I know it was discussed at length at the end of 2006, and support was added for the inline seealso (nested in the summary tag). However, I cannot get the nested seealso to work in any of the styles (prototype, hana, vs2005), in neither of the last two CTP releases (Nov 07 and January 08).

The problem is that the hypertext link from a seealso tag nested within a summary tag is rendered in two places: within the See Also section as it should be, and also at the end of the summary text where it should not be (only the link appears, not a second "See Also" string).

I don't have the problem with top-level seealso tags, but my understanding from past forum posts on this subject is that the nested seealso tag would continue to be supported, and from what I can tell in Main_sandcastle.xsl, that is the case.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:45 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to add seealso tags within summary tags? Can't you just add them outside of summary tags so that it works?

- Dave
Feb 12, 2008 at 3:53 PM
The problem is that approx. 150 nested seealso tags already exist in existing API help that our documentation group has compiled over the past couple of years. Nesting them was never an issue given that MS documentation showed inline seealso tags (, and that NDoc supported them. Also, when this issue first came up in 2006, Anand agreed that the problem should be fixed rather than forcing users to restructure the doc comments. And I believe the problem was addressed because the symptoms reported back then were different from what I'm seeing now. But apparently the problem wasn't solved because I'm getting the extraneous link in the summary description for Web help and HtmlHelp2.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:37 PM

Thanks, I get it now. I wonder though, can you guarantee that all of your <seealso> tags appear immediately before the closing <summary> tag? If so, maybe a quick VS global regex find/replace would do the trick.

- Dave
Feb 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM
Hi Dave. I'm not interested in working around a bug unless the Sandcastle Dev group -- if it can reproduce my results -- chooses not to fix it.