Sandcastle going RTW?

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:26 AM
Hello All.

I've heard through the grapevine that the next release of Sandcastle is due out sometime next month, and also that it is going RTW sometime soon.

I'm using the VS2005 presentation style and it seems to be really rather broken. Most of the things I've been able to fix, like the bodyHeader top and bottom tables being mis-named for each other in htmlBody.xsl, resulting in a flip-flopped header; Property topic pages popping up with a "Field Value" subsection title instead of "Property Value"; a spurious gradientTable template which screws up the table borders in the header; and the <note type=""> tag simply not working at all.

Now, I've managed to fix all of that, and thank heavens for WinDiff, because the change log is getting a little unmanageable. :)

One thing I haven't fixed yet, because at first blush it looks like it's going to take no small amount of effort, is the fact that the member tables aren't separated by visibility anymore; like Public Properties, Protected Properties, etc.

So, what I'm wondering is if Sandcastle is in fact shortly going RTW, so that I can reconcile my change log against a stable version, and if the member table visibility question is going to be addressed in the VS2005 presentation style, or if I'm going to have to dig in and try it myself. (Please, no!!)
Mar 20, 2008 at 5:26 AM
Edited Mar 20, 2008 at 5:27 AM
Hi,

The Sandcastle January 2008 release was officially RTW. See CTP, License and Source Code.

If you'd like to report presentation style issues use the Issue Tracker. Although, Sandcastle supports custom presentation styles so if you'd like to create your own style that's based on VS 2005, you can.

- Dave

Edit: Fixed wrong discussion ID.
Editor
Mar 20, 2008 at 6:53 AM
I don't recall the VS2005 style separating/filtering the members by visibility. Prototype and Hana do though. As I recall, Hana is the mix of the VS2005 and Prototype styles taking elements from both to create the new look going forward. Comparing the Hana to the VS2005 style might give you an idea of how to merge the visibility stuff into a customized VS2005 style. Regarding the other bugs you've found, take a look at the open work items. There are several related to presentation style issues. As Dave suggests, if you've got any that aren't reported yet, open a new work item for them.

Eric
Mar 20, 2008 at 7:41 AM
Hello All.

Thanks Dave and Eric for the quick replies. I'd seen the January 2008 release referred to as CTP in several places, so I wasn't sure. I've added 2 items to the IssueTracker for a better implementation of the <note> tag and the visibility issue. I have a CHM that I built 2 or 3 projects ago using Sandcastle (back in February of 2007) and it splits the members into Public and Protected. IIRC, there were only 2 style choices then, and I don't think either one of them was named VS2005. Unfortunately, when I updated Sandcastle, the new installation stomped the original files, so I can't be sure which release it was, but it looks a lot (I mean a lot) like the VS2005 transform with the Whidbey css (light blue header).

As I said, I've managed to fix virtually everything that didn't suit me -- XML , XSLT, and CSS sure make things a lot easier than they used to be!! --if they were even possible at all. The member group visibility issue is really the only thing left I'd like to remedy, but I may not have time to do it myself for this project. As I said, it looks like it may be somewhat the other side of trivial. If Anand has already got close to a solution, that would be great.

In any event, I'll have to keep some stuff in the change log for the style tweaks, which is the whole point of having a CSS in the first place. I think I'll have a better idea about the transform changes after the next release comes out.