Insert the feedback recipient and change default name of Compiles files in hhp

May 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM
Hello!!!
Have two little problems...
I want to insert the name of the author of the document as default in the dispatch of the feedback.
which is the file to be modified if it exists?
And second problem I want to create a procedure that premises me to modify the parameters of the file hhp like
Compiled file
Contents file
Index file
Title

Thank you so much!!!!!
And excuse me for my English!!!!!

Igor
May 8, 2008 at 6:26 PM
Edited May 8, 2008 at 6:27 PM
Hi Igor,

Content related to feedback can be found in the presentation's Content\feedback_content.xml file. If you can't get the desired result by only updating content items then you may have to modify one or more of the XSL transformation files in the Transforms folder instead.

If you're using the CHMBuilder program then it has a configuration file in the ProdutionTools folder that you can modify to get the desired .hhp file.

- Dave
Editor
May 8, 2008 at 6:28 PM
Have you tried The Sandcasle Help File Builder or DocProject? SHFB is a standalone tool that can be used to build help file using Sandcastle. DocProject is a VS2005 add-in that can build help files using Sandcastle. Both allow you to configure such things as the feedback e-mail address, help file title, etc. and automate the build process so that you don't have to be concerned with the details or where the information goes in the configuration files.

Eric
May 9, 2008 at 8:40 AM
Edited May 9, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Thank you so much!!!
But have a trouble to find a right information on xls file.
Sorry is my first time i use this tool especially xls file.....
sorry.
Can you help me???
Please!!!
ehehehehee...
Thanks..........
May 9, 2008 at 9:20 AM
Hi Igor,

I don't really understand what you're trying to do. Perhaps an example will help.

- Dave
May 9, 2008 at 9:39 AM
I try to explain...
When i push the botton Send FeedBack the document open in automatic Lotus Notes, but the field of recipient is empty.
I want insert the name of document's author in this field...In automatic mode...If possible with a little procedure...If possible...

Thank you Dave for your help......

Igor
May 9, 2008 at 12:47 PM
Hi Igor,

I think I get it now. Are you looking for a way to change the recipient field to the email address of the topic's author?

The email address is typically set once for all topics using the fb_alias item in the feedback_content.xml file. This item is referenced by the MailToLink item in the shared_content.xml file. To have the email address chosen based on the topic's author, you'd have to update several different files; therefore, I think you may be better off submitting a new feature request for this.

If you still want to try making the modifications on your own, the basic steps would be as follows for the VS 2005 presentation style. (Note that I haven't tried this myself.)

1. Add a new shared content item document and update the Build Assembler configuration file to include it.
  2. In the new content document, add items that correspond to author names and set the value of each item to the appropriate email address.
  3. Update the existing MailToLink item so that instead of using fb_alias it does something like <include item="{0}" />. (Don't forget to update the existing string format tokens; {0} and {1} are already in use.)
  4. Update the footer and feedbackHeader items (in shared_content.xml) by adding another <parameter> in the call to MailToLink.
  5. Open the Transforms\htmlBody.xsl file and search for item="feedbackHeader". Add another <parameter> that specifies the name of the author. To get the name of the author you'll probably have to come up with a custom tag solution (see Documentation references/bibliography with Sandcastle for an example of how to use custom tags in Sandcastle).
  6. Open the Transforms\main_conceptual.xsl and Transforms\main_sandcastle.xsl files and search for item="footer". Add another <parameter> that specifies the name of the author, in the same way that you did for the previous step.
Again, this might be a feature that you'd want the Sandcastle team to add if you don't understand how to do it yourself.

- Dave
May 9, 2008 at 3:17 PM
Edited May 9, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Hi Dave!

Thank you for your help...It's very kind of you!!

How should I submit this requirement?
I belive it would very useful having a tool to automatize these steps.

What do you think?

Speak to you on Monday!!

Have a Nice week end!

Igor
May 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM
Hi Igor,

Click on the Issue Tracker tab and then click the Create New Item link :)

- Dave
May 9, 2008 at 4:27 PM
Oh, and BTW, you may want to add a link to this discussion in your request.