How to integrate documentation produced by SandCastle within Visual Studio F1 ?

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I have been searching without success how to integrate the documentation produced by SandCastle directly in Visual Studio to be able to use the F1 Key with my own classes, methods, enumerations and so on.

I have produced the documentation successfuly bu i need to know the following step to be used with VS 2008 or VS 2010.

It is necessary to use HTMLHelp 2.x format when compiling the help files ?

Thanks a lot.

Editor
Nov 25, 2011 at 8:26 PM

If producing a help file for VS 2008, you need to use the Help 2 format.  For VS 2010, use the MS Help Viewer format.  Installing Help 2 files is more cumbersome than MS Help Viewer but there are tools to help such as H2Reg.exe by HelpWare.  MS Help Viewer files can be installed manually using the Help Manager tool that comes with Visual Studio.  If using the Sandcastle Help File Builder, it provides a utility for MS Help Viewer as well as scripts produced with the built help files for both Help 2 and MS Help Viewer for installing and removing the help files.  See the following topics in the SHFB help file for more information:

Deploying an MS Help 2 File

Deploying an MS Help Viewer File

Help Library Manager Launcher Utility

Eric

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Thank you very much.

I will try with both (VS2008 and VS2010) and i will reply you if a get any issue.

Have a nice day.

DIEGO IVAN.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Hi.

I was able to reproduce your procedure succesfully with visual studio 2008.  Thanks a lot.

I just have another question. In this line of code:

MathematicalOperations myFirstOperations = new MathematicalOperations();

If i use F1 over MathematicalOperations (at the left) i get the fancy help produced by Sandcastle.

But if i use F1 over MathematicalOperations() (at the right) i get "Information not found"

Is it the expected behaviour ? or may i have missed some step ?

Thanks and have a nice day.