OT: Looking for Spell checker

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:34 PM
Sorry about the off-topic post...but it might be of interest to some.

What spell checker are people using for authoring their MAML documents? I'm looking for a good, preferably open source checker that either plugs into VisualStudio or the SHFB conceptual help editor.

For those that are writing wysiwyg MAML editors, this would be a great feature!

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:18 PM
Hi Roger,

I'm currently writing a WYSIWYG editor for MAML based on WPF, which provides spell checking out-of-the-box.  The screen shot in the following blog post shows the red squigglies :)

MAML Editor Progress II

In the mean time though I haven't been using a spell checker in VS when authoring MAML, although I probably should be :)

A quick search on the Visual Studio Gallery reveals some candidate packages:

- Dave
Jul 24, 2008 at 12:31 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2008 at 12:32 AM
For Visual Studio, I use one installed by Visual Assist and freeware by the Visual Studio Web Team: 
Spell Checker Add-In to Visual Studio 2005/2008.

Best regards,
Jul 28, 2008 at 7:03 PM
Hi Dave,

Your MAML editor looks great and I can't wait to test drive it!  I'm getting a bit bug-eyed from using the Xml editor in VisualStudio. Although my new favourite shortcut key is now CTRL+K, CTRL+S which surrounds the highlighted text in an Xml element... which is great for turning text into <link>s.  :)

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:44 AM
Thanks Roger.  I'll continue to post updates in my blog until I've prepared a preview version of the MAML editor as an initial release.

Note that I have fallen behind in my plans due to unexpected employment (with strict deadlines) but I'm still working on some stuff in the editor that is absolutely necessary before I can deploy the first release.  Hopefully with a couple of full-time days next weekend I'll be able to get something out into the community next week.

I know people are anticipating this (I've received a few emails :) and I just want to thank everyone for their patience while I continue to develop it.

- Dave