Position of Collapse All / Language Filter

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:40 PM
The position of the Collapse All / Language Filter elements apparently changed in one of the more recent releases of Sandcastle. Instead of being below the page title, these items are now above it, at least in the VS 2005 presentation style. This really doesn't look very good.

I understand that it may be possible to modify the htmlBody.xsl transformation, specifiically the bodyHeaderBottomTable and bodyHeaderTopTable templates to accomplish this, but all my efforts so far cause Sandcastle Help File Builder to crash. For example, I've tried switching the contents of these two sections, and I've also tried switching the order of the items found in the bodyHeader template. This also seems to be complicated by the use of a Post-transform Component to place an image in the header.

I would be most grateful if someone will provide a working htmlBody file that will (1) place the title at the top of the page, and (2) suppress the display of the language filter.

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:13 AM

>>wmlrose: I would be most grateful if someone will provide a working htmlBody file that will...
The issues related to the SHFB will be best address if you post to the SHFB forum. However, if you
simply want to suppress not remove the top table (the collapse all/lang filter stuff) add this to the end of
the Presentation.css

table#topTable
{
    display:none;
}

If you want to remove the running header text, to have only the title at the top, add the following...

tr#headerTableRow1
{
    display:none;
}

I will investigate how best to satisfy your requirements may be in my components.

Best regards,
Paul.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:46 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I tried both in both of the paths below, again building using SHFB. Neither the Help1x or the web page output seems to have changed. Any other suggestions?

...\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\vs2005\Styles\Presentation.css
...\Program Files\Sandcastle\Presentation\vs2005\Styles\Whidbey\presentation.css


Sep 12, 2008 at 3:28 PM
First take a look at these Outputs.
I have uploaded some images, are these the types of output you are looking for?

Best regards,
Paul.
Sep 12, 2008 at 3:35 PM
Yes, these look great. I wouldn't mind retaining the "collapse all" element somewhere below the title, but this isn't critical.
Sep 12, 2008 at 3:48 PM
And here's how my current output looks:
Picasa link
Sep 12, 2008 at 4:34 PM
Edited Sep 12, 2008 at 5:05 PM
I have added another screenshot using the Whidbey style in your documentations, there is no problem here too.

I am not using the SHFB for those outputs, so either
  1. SHFB component support for the logo is affecting the document structure there, or
  2. Parts of your transform modifications, you mentioned earlier, are still there, affecting the results.

To hide only the filters, use display:none;

For the Vs2005, modify the span.filter as
span.filter
{
    color: #0000FF;
    display:none;
}

For the Whidbey, add the span.filter style as
span.filter
{
    display:none;
}

I think you will need to modify the transforms or use build components to move the "collapse all" to below the title.
If you really need to, I could work on it for you, but I think Eric is around and will investigate this issue with the SHFB and offer some help.

Best regards,
Paul.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:04 PM
Paul,

It doesn't seem like any of these changes have an effect. I think it does have something to do with SHFB logo support. I believe it was a change there that caused the original problem. I guess I will see if Eric has other suggestions, and at this point I should probably re-install both applications. Thanks again for looking into all this.

Bill

Editor
Sep 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM
The post-transform component supports placing the logo based on the default layout of the elements in the transformations supplied with Sandcastle.  If you move things around (the topTable and bottomTable elements), it's not going to place the logo correctly.  You may be able to alter the content of the tables such that you swap the content of one table with the other but maintain their original positions which would probably work.  Other than that, your only option is to remove the logo if you want a customized header layout in your transformations.  Since you're modifying the transformations anyway, you could probably just incorporate the logo into your changes.  Using a generic image name would allow you to alter the image on a project-by-project basis.

Eric
Sep 12, 2008 at 9:11 PM
I have tried nearly all of these suggestions, and experimented quite a bit with both the styles and the transformations. Any changes I have made either do nothing or cause the SHFB build to fail. I'm surprised this issue has not generated more attention. The header of these files really does not look good. But thanks to both of you for your time, and for providing these overall really useful tools.
Sep 13, 2008 at 2:27 AM
>>Bill: I'm surprised this issue has not generated more attention. The header of these files really does not look good.
We are sorry, I will investigate a solution for you, in particular the effect of the logo.
So give us a little more time, it is not helpless situation.

OT: I will also take this issue as feature request and make sure it is supported in my Sandcastle build library, 
Sandcastle Helpers - preparing for beta release.
So, if I cannot cut it with the SHFB, I will with my library, so there will be a solution, and I will get back to you soon.

Best regards,
Paul.