Cannot build help files.. AddOverloads.xsl missing

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:16 PM
Edited Jan 10, 2009 at 6:55 AM
I've gone over and over.. reading everything I can.. trying everything I can.. removing re-installing.. etc. and I CANNOT get sandcastle to work. It worked long ago but ever since attempting to upgrade it it remains broken. Not only on my machine but a co-workers. The core of my problem is that whatever file is generating the ..Working\TransformManifest.bat is including a reference to a file that doesn't exist: C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\ProductionTransforms\AddOverloads.xsl

I notice one warning at the beginning of the build: "Warning: MRefBuilder has a version of '2.4.10520.1' but version '2.2.61208.0' was expected.  You may need to update your copy of the help file builder."  I don't know if that is related or not.

Can anyone shed any light at all on this? I am running sandcastle helpfile builder GUI .. The Sandcastle MSI I installed today attempting to fix the problem is 8,150,016 bytes it didn't indicate a version.

I'm running out of gas on this.. there seems to be so much scattered information, random blog posts here and there but all seem to date back.. I suspect I am having issues from something that lingered from a previous CTP or something like that.. but other than uninstalling with the MSI I am not sure what I am to do. I'd appreciate any guidance. Thank you.
Jan 9, 2009 at 9:11 PM
>>You may need to update your copy of the help file builder.
Is this not simply enough to understand and follow?

Best regards,
Jan 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2009 at 10:40 PM
Actually it wasn't. I suppose it has been too long for me to remember that the two projects are not combined. I thought that perhaps SandCastle was combined with the GUI that I had installed.. I understand now that "SandCastle Help File Builder" != "SandCastle" and finally I found the project at I just installed it.. I hope that resolves the issue, thanks for your input it is working so far.. I'm ashamed I haven't used it in so long I've had such big troubles!
Jan 10, 2009 at 3:12 AM
Don't feel bad.  I've had a couple of people make the assumption that the two were one and the same or forget that they were separate entities.  Starting with SHFB 1.8, I've made the distinction quite clear in the Getting Started and Installation topics.  Error messages are also numbered with corresponding documentation in the help file.  In the case of the above warning and other errors related to version mismatches, it is now clear what to do in order to resolve the problem provided people bother to look them up of course :).

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:52 AM
Thanks so much Eric... for your reply and more importantly for your work on the SHFB. The upside is that from 1.3.3 to 1.7 encompasses a lot of work that I now get the benefit of. I finished building some docs tonight and they all went off without a hitch. In my readings I saw something mentioning "conceptual" output along with the styles project.. I am going to familiarize myself with that since it seems intriguing. Hope I didn't waste anyone's time, I really just needed that kick in the head to realize I hadn't updated your project and Paul provided it nicely =) Thanks again all.