What does "Missing shared conten item. Tag:'include'" mean?

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM
I am using Sandcastle and the Help File Builder to create a help file for an SDK I am working on.  I really appreciate getting the Warn messages about missing/incomplete documentation.  I am trying to get to 0 Warn messages in the log file.  Two warnings that I am getting, I do not understand.  These warnings are comming from the SharedContentComponent.  Here is all the output from the SharedContentComponent from my log:
Info: SharedContentComponent: Instantiating component.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'C:\views\CNX\MKEBuildTools\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\shared_content.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Loading shared content file 'C:\views\CNX\MKEBuildTools\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\shared_content.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 1 files in C:\views\CNX\MKEBuildTools\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\shared_content.xml.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'C:\views\CNX\MKEBuildTools\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\reference_content.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Loading shared content file 'C:\views\CNX\MKEBuildTools\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\reference_content.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 1 files in C:\views\CNX\MKEBuildTools\Sandcastle\Presentation\Prototype\content\reference_content.xml.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'C:\views\CNX\MKEBuildTools\Sandcastle\Presentation\Shared\content\syntax_content.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Loading shared content file 'C:\views\CNX\MKEBuildTools\Sandcastle\Presentation\Shared\content\syntax_content.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 1 files in C:\views\CNX\MKEBuildTools\Sandcastle\Presentation\Shared\content\syntax_content.xml.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Loading shared content file 'C:\views\CNX\cnx\Build\dist\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'rootlink' with value in file 'C:\views\CNX\cnx\Build\dist\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'producttitle' with value in file 'C:\views\CNX\cnx\Build\dist\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'locationinformation' with value in file 'C:\views\CNX\cnx\Build\dist\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'locale' with value in file 'C:\views\CNX\cnx\Build\dist\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'copyright' with value in file 'C:\views\CNX\cnx\Build\dist\Working\SharedBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 1 files in SharedBuilderContent.xml.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Searching for files that match 'PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Loading shared content file 'C:\views\CNX\cnx\Build\dist\Working\PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'header' with value in file 'C:\views\CNX\cnx\Build\dist\Working\PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Overriding shared content item 'footer' with value in file 'C:\views\CNX\cnx\Build\dist\Working\PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml'.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Found 1 files in PresentationStyleBuilderContent.xml.
Info: SharedContentComponent: Loaded 225 shared content items.
Warn: SharedContentComponent: Missing shared content item. Tag:'include'; Id:'topictitle'.
Warn: SharedContentComponent: Missing shared content item. Tag:'include'; Id:'topictitle'.

The last two lines are the issue.  I do not know what they mean.  I cannot tell where in the source I should look for a missing 'include' on a topictitle.  Any help getting me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.

Pat O
Editor
Jan 16, 2009 at 8:29 PM
You probably haven't applied the Sandcastle presentation style patch available at the Sandcastle Styles project site (http://SandcastleStyles.codeplex.com).  It will fix a number of issues with the Sandcastle presentation styles and resource files including the missing "topictitle" warning.

Regarding missing/incomplete documentation, you only need to watch for messages from the ShowMissingComponent.  It's possible that you'll see other warnings and they are normal and can be ignored (i.e. unresolved member names from inherited classes that you aren't documenting, the MSDN web service not returning a link for a framework member, etc).

Eric
Jan 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM
Edited Jan 16, 2009 at 8:42 PM
Even applying the presentation patch, as recommended by Eric, does not make the
Prototype style complete enough for serious work.
So, unless you have a special need, simply avoid the Prototype/Hana styles for now, there is
still more missing include items.

Best regards,
Paul.