Need simple approach for Silverlight project

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM
Morning everyone,

I have a Silverlight class library project and I flipped the bit in the project properties to generate the VS 2008 XML comments file.

I'm looking for the simpliest way to generate API documentation that I can copy and paste in to a Word doc, or even an HTML based TOC with HTML pages for the Class Info.

I have the lastest Sandcastle version installed but when I tried to walk through the instructions for examples/sandcastle (I manually copied my assembly and XML file to the sandcastle folder) and on the RefBuilder step (step 4 on this page, it couldn't resolve the Silverlight, System.Windows assembly from the GAC - perhaps I'm doing wrong?
--- I'm trying to avoid spending a lot of time on this so I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any issues with Silverlight libraries? Or if perhaps there is a simplier approach?

Thanks in advance!
Jan 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM
Try one of the community tools such as the Sandcastle Help File Builder or DocProject.  Either one will make it easier to build a help file with Sandcastle.

Regarding the unresolved reference.  That's a common occurrence.  Sandcastle doesn't always resolve references so you need to give it a hint by telling it which references to include.  The community tools noted above include options to add dependencies/references.  The method to do it depends on which one you choose.  If you get stuck, ask in the respective project discussion forum.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:52 PM

You need to specify dependencies using the /dep switch:

MRefBuilder /dep:"C:\anotherasm.dll"

Alternatively, if the assembly is in the GAC, then you can try opening the MRefBuilder.config file (located in the ProductionTools folder) and set the use-gac attribute to true on the resolver element.

- Dave
Jan 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM
(I second Eric's recommendation though :)
Jan 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM
Hey thanks a bunch for the info gentlemen. I'll give it a shot shortly.
Jan 26, 2009 at 8:51 PM
I had to add some assembly dependency folders, but I have a nice and shiny chm file using the Sandcastle Help File Builder - thanks again, this really helped!

P.S. @Dave the config file I have doesn't have seem to have the default resolver element defined. It looks like (schema-wise) I could possibly add the XML for it, but I just wanted to let you know that one wasn't there by default, thanks!