NamespaceDoc from NDoc

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:46 PM
We got alot of documention that we use to generate with NDoc, now we are trying to use SandCastle instead. The problem is that we got alot of namespace descriptions as you use to do with NDoc. 
SandCastle is not displaying these info in the CHM files. I have tried to implement this myself in the xls files, but i cant seem to figure out how the data is substracted from the assembly xml an into this skeleton.xml which the xpath is pointing at. Its for the VS2005 style transform im looking...

Anyway if i only knew how to expand the skeleton.xaml with the data about the namespaces...

Anyway the xml look something like 

<?xml version="1.0"?>
        <name>ASSEMBLY NAME</name>
        <member name="T:AssemblyName.NamespaceDoc">
                some text
    <!-- Use this section to present a diagram showing the design overview in its entirety -->

And then followed by the "normal" assembly xml..

Any ideas how to put these informations into the sandcastle xls files !?
Feb 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Try something like the following:

<member name="N:Root.Name.Space">

Note that you don't have to modify the .xsl files in any way.  This just works.

- Dave

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM
Hey Dave...

So what you are saying is that SandCastle can already process these Namespace summaries? The problem is that im not writing the xml, im doing it in the code the old NDoc way, with the NamespaceDoc class.
Feb 17, 2009 at 5:27 PM
You'd have to manually rename the member ID on the NamespaceDoc classes in the XML comments files to use an "N:" prefix rather than "T:" and remove the "NamespaceDoc" type name from the IDs so that Sandcastle can pick them up as namespace comments.  You might like to check out the Sandcastle Help File Builder.  It supports NamespaceDoc classes just like NDoc and also supports many of the same properties and features as NDoc but uses Sandcastle to produce the help file.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM
Thank you very much for your help!

I tried the sandcastle help file builder, but it just dont cut it. When we used NDoc we were able to make our own xls file and plug it in. Therefore we have created alot of our own tags to documentate your code.
Like you see in my first post we also got a design tag, and what it dont show is that we got more tags like that. With NDoc we just expanded our xls file with all these tags, is there really no way to do this in sandcastle ?
Feb 18, 2009 at 4:02 PM
Extra tags need to be added to the Sandcastle XSL transformation files.  See this blog post for information on how to do that:

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:54 PM

If you need to use different tags and styles for different projects then you may want to check out DocProject, which integrates Sandcastle into Visual Studio 2005/2008.  DocProject supports custom presentation styles and also allows you to modify the built-in styles and XSLT files on a per-project basis.

- Dave
Feb 19, 2009 at 7:34 AM
That solves it, thanks for nice support :-)