Is there a list of work to be done to complete the Prototype Style?

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:45 PM
We are using the Prototype style for our documentation.  We have run into a couple of issues with this style.  The issues include warnings about missing content (see http://www.codeplex.com/Sandcastle/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=44412) and printing issues.  I am wondering how much work it would be for me to "finish" the prototype style.  Is there a doc that describes defining styles?  Is there a list someplace of the work that still needs to be done to get the prototype style up and going?  I appreciate that this is not an open source project, but I am still willing to help.  Obviously I would relinquish any rights I or my company have to the style, it would continue to be owned by Microsoft.

Pat O
Feb 19, 2009 at 2:03 PM
Hi Pat,

Unfortunately, there's no formal documentation yet on the prototype style, or any style for that matter.  The most you'll find on the subject will probably be in these discussions, the original forum, and the Sandcastle blog.

As for the open source question, see this blog post and this discussion.  They don't provide a definitive answer, but if you were to fixup the prototype style then the Sandcastle Styles project would certinaly consider hosting it anyway.

- Dave
Feb 19, 2009 at 2:07 PM
BTW, the Sandcastle Styles project will require that you note all of your changes, so keep track of them.
Editor
Feb 19, 2009 at 4:16 PM
If you haven't done so already, apply the Sandcastle Styles patch.  It fixes up a number of issues with missing content in the Prototype style.  The MAML part of the Prototype style is still quite incomplete though and will require a lot of work to bring it up to par with the VS2005 style.  The Hana style is closer but also requires some work.

Eric