Links to local MSDN

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Hello,

I use Sandcastle to create a Help 2.0 project for my .NET class library. Is there a way to resolve MSDN links (like System.Object) in local MSDN? Now such links seems to be broken:

Sorry, no topics were found for the selected link.

Keywords = "T:System.Object"
IndexMoniker =
Source URL =

I specified index type for MSDN links in my sandcastle.config:

<!-- resolve reference links -->
<component type="Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2" assembly="%DXROOT%\ProductionTools\BuildComponents.dll">
<targets base="%DXROOT%\Data\Reflection" files="*.xml" type="index" />
  <targets files=".\Temp\*xml" type="local" />
</component>

When I set msdn type instead of index such links appear resolved in on-line MSDN correctly.

Both 2005 and 2008 MSDN are installed on my machine. Maybe I missed something when compiling my help project?

Any help would be appreciated!

Tanya

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM

>>Tanya: Any help would be appreciated!

For the registration of your Help 2.0 file, are you plugging into the online MSDN help
or you are simply running your help file?

Best regards,
Paul.

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Yes, I didn't pay my attention on my h2reg.ini. It just registers my help collection. I use this script with the previous version of my help project which explicitly puts namespace definitions in <mshelp:link /> nodes.

Thanks for remind me on plugging! It solves my problem!

Tanya

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I have this same problem, but I'm new to building help, and didn't understand the answer.  I looked on my machine, and I have a Help2x_H2Reg.ini in C:\Program Files\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\Templates, but no h2reg.ini anywhere else.  Could someone please give more details on how to fix this?

Editor
Jun 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM

For the help file builder, the plug-in namespace settings are controlled via the project's PlugInNamespaces property.  The template is used to create the H2Reg.ini file for the project and you will find it in the output folder along with the help file after the build.  See http://www.ewoodruff.us/shfbdocs/Index.aspx?topic=html/7d28bf8f-923f-44c1-83e1-337a416947a1.htm#Help2 and http://www.ewoodruff.us/shfbdocs/Index.aspx?topic=html/68a2fa4e-c6de-47ed-a9a6-60cc6ef01df4.htm for more information.

Eric

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Thank you once again Eric!